Monday, September 28, 2009

Effects of Advertising on Children

Lad, Kashmira. "Effects of Advertising on Children." Buzzle. 28 Sept. 2009 http://www.buzzle.com/articles/effects-of-advertising-on-children.html

This article talks about the many problems with advertising on children. It mentions that the media has a strong effect on our needs and wants. Children are a major portion of the advertisers audience so they are constantly making their advertisements appeasing to children. The main job of the advertiser is to make the quality of the product appear high and to make the product a need for the children. Children are a huge buying force. Advertisers will also use glossy images to make the product very attractive and children are very susceptible to these techniques. This creates a lot of problems because the children think that they need this product. They throw temper tantrums until they get what they want. Parents are becoming more easy with allowing their children to control them. They would rather do what the children asks for and not have to deal with the tears and yelling. This is creating a lifestyle for the children that is becoming a problem. They are starting to believe that the only way for happiness is through materialistic joys. This article also includes some tips on how to prevent this from happening to your children. It mentions that parents should be firm and not allow their children to have whatever they want.

I completely agree with this article. As children are watching more television, they are also watching more advertisements. Advertisers are becoming better and better at their job of attracting this young audience. I remember being swayed greatly by these ads when I was younger. I was constantly asking my parents for a new toy and they were always firm with me in telling me that I do not need that toy. This has greatly helped me today as I am more associated with money and make choices with my money. When I am a parent, I will not allow my children to cry there way into getting a toy. The ads are becoming better and better so we need the parents to become more firm with their decisions to prevent a bad lifestyle for the children.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you and the article. I remember freaking out at my parents to get me the latest and greatest toy. I screamed and cried for a couple of weeks until I finally got the message that it wasn't going to happen. Although they said no to this request, if I reacted the same way to a smaller item such as food, I would most likely get the item. Advertising has gotten better and better to attract children so that they do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you on this. When I was little I had to have Loreal Kids Shampoo because it was a cool looking bottle and it had fun fruity smells. I would beg my mom to buy it for me and she would always say no. I didn't realize it was the same as any other shampoo, I just kept thinking I had to have it, because in the commercial all the kids were having fun and playing with cool shampoo and I wanted to be like them.

    ReplyDelete